Data Analytics / Research Scientist - Artificial Intelligence
DA19: Data Analytics / Research Scientist - Artificial Intelligence
Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories (MERL) is seeking qualified and highly motivated applicants for the position of Member Research Staff in the Data Analytics Group. The successful candidate will be expected to perform original research in the area of artificial intelligence, focusing on algorithms for learning, reasoning, and decision making in large industrial domains. Suitable areas of specialization include machine learning, reinforcement learning, planning and scheduling, robotics, and optimization. Further qualifications are detailed below.
The successful candidate will be expected to lead and perform original research within the above areas, and to extend MERL's long-term research envelope in collaboration with other MERL researchers. Further responsibilities and qualifications are defined below.
Research Area: Data Analytics
Contact: Daniel Nikovski
- Conduct research in the area of artificial intelligence. Invent and develop novel machine learning algorithms and methods for predictive modeling of large domains based on sensor data, and optimal planning and decision making in challenging industrial problems. Devise new research ideas and pursue them all the way to realization in prototypes. Assist in preparing patent applications. Publication in major conferences and journals is encouraged.
- Propose new directions and projects related to artificial intelligence and applications thereof. Assist in preparing research proposals.
- Transfer technology to our parent company, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation located in Japan. Some travel to Japan and elsewhere will be necessary.
- A Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Robotics, Electrical Engineering, Statistics, Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, or a closely related field. For applicants without industrial work experience, dissertation topic should be related to a primary area of artificial intelligence. Candidates at all levels of experience post PhD are encouraged to apply. For senior candidates, a strong publication record in AI related conferences will be expected.
- Very strong background in the algorithmic aspects of statistical machine learning, robot learning, reinforcement learning, automated planning and scheduling, or optimization.
- Background and hands-on experience in areas such as robotics, probabilistic graphical models, or optimization would be a definite plus.
- Good programming skills in Python or Matlab and at least one production-oriented language (C/C++ or Java), and experience in using them for predictive modeling or decision optimization projects; experience with visualization software or the R language and environment a plus.
- Preference will be given to candidates experienced in working with industrial equipment in domains such as building automation, electrical power systems, transportation, and robotics/factory automation.
- Good verbal and written communication skills are a must. Good inter-personal skills are essential.
- Applicant must be quick to adapt to project needs, and able to work on multiple projects.